The Challenge for Working Families
- Child care for a 4-year-old costs an average of $850/month.
- Infant care in Wisconsin costs an average of $1,047/month. – That’s nearly 50% more than in-state tuition at a four-year public college and more than 20% more than average rent.
- 54% of Wisconsin residents live in a child care desert where 3+ children compete for every slot
Child Care Educators Need Support, Too
- 1 in 5 Wisconsin child care educators worry their food will run out before they have money to get more
- 3 in 4 Wisconsin child care educators say it is somewhat or extremely difficult to live on their household income
- 48% of early child care programs lack health insurance benefits
- 52% of early child care workers report access to paid sick leave